Is there something you really wish for? Perhaps you’re seeking healing for yourself, a loved one or you want that dream job you’ve applied for; begin by making a Dua (supplication or prayer). I’ve written out some tips I’ve picked up that can make your dua more likely to be accepted inshaAllah.
Structure your Dua:
- Begin your Dua with Alhamdulilah, wa salatu wassalamu ‘alaa rasoolillah
Translation: All praise is to Allah, and peace and blessing on the Messenger of Allah.
2. Praise Allah using his beautiful attributes — the 99 names of Allah.
3. Say laa ilaha ilaa anta subhanaka inni kuntu mina dhalimeen.
لَّآ إِلَٰهَ إِلَّآ أَنتَ سُبْحَٰنَكَ إِنِّى كُنتُ مِنَ ٱلظَّٰلِمِينَ
This is the Dua of Prophet Yunus when he was in the belly of the whale. It translates to: there is no deity except you, exalted are you, I have been of the wrong doers.
4. Start with making your Dua in a more general form for example: “rabi zidni ilmaa” (lord increase me in knowledge), then hone in on the details of your need: “for I need to pass this Biology exam”.
6. End your dua with Alhamdulilah or/and by reciting Verse 10:10 of Surah Yunus. Arabic translation as follows:
دَعْوَىٰهُمْ فِيهَا سُبْحَٰنَكَ ٱللَّهُمَّ وَتَحِيَّتُهُمْ فِيهَا سَلَٰمٌ ۚ وَءَاخِرُ دَعْوَىٰهُمْ أَنِ ٱلْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ رَبِّ ٱلْعَٰلَمِينَ
Their prayer in there will be, ‘Glory be to You, God!’ their greeting, ‘Peace,’ and the last part of their prayer, ‘Praise be to God, Lord of the Worlds.’ — Translation by Oxford classics MAS Abdul Haleem
Look for Dua opportune times
These are the times where your Dua has the highest chance of being accepted.
- Fridays between the time the Imam sits on the pulpit until he has completed his prayer (roughly dhuhr time if you don’t pray Jummah Salah)
- A moment in time (the word usually translated as hour in arabic actually means moment) between Asr and Maghrib on a Friday.
- Thursday Night. This one is not as well known but it is a tried and tested opportune time ( in the muslim day this would be friday night, since the muslim day begins at maghrib).
- Another lesser known opportune time is documented by hadiths as Wednesday between Dhuhr and Asr. Jaber (RA) made Dua on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in Masjid-al Fath in Madinah. His Dua and was answered between Dhuhr and Asr on Wednesday and he then reported more duas answered on that Wednesday opportune time. Source: Adab al Mufrat Imam Bukhari Hadith 725 & Musnad Ahmad Pg 332 and more.
- When it rains heavily. Also try and expose yourself to that rain as per the Sunnah, so don’t walk around under an umbrella the whole time.
- And anytime. While there are times which are more likely for Dua acceptance from the wisdom of Allah. If you have a Dua in your heart and mind it’s better to release it (you can whisper it quietly) and inshaAllah it will be accepted.